[mythtv-users] MythTV Player 1.1.5 available to all on Google Play Store

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 08:18:50 UTC 2015

On 4/15/15 4:11 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 15/04/15 04:26, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Eric,
>>
>> Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 5:29:27 AM, you wrote:

>>> Android uses a Linux kernel.  It doesn't ship with all the user-space
>>> software you would expect with a "Linux" operating system.  The kernel
>>> is just a small piece of a full distribution and there's no mpeg2
>>> decoder in the Linux kernel.
>>
>>> If you want to install a third party mpeg2 player (like MX player) you
>>> can do so without rooting the device.  It's just that the Android
>>> user-space software that ships with most devices does not include
>>> mpeg2 support.
>>
>>> Eric
>>
>> Forget my previous post. I get annoyed with google trying to close
>> down linux. If as Eric says, why not include the mpeg2 decoder in the
>> package?
>>
> Because the mpeg2 decoder isn't entirely free. For FOSS users, where
> we are paying nothing and asking nothing from a customer, we can get
> the decoder 'free' as an end user.
>
> For a manufacturer of some equipment, say a tablet, or an operating
> system that is to be sold, there will be a cost to the end user and
> thus a licence fee must be paid. Some manufacturers decide they don't
> want to do this.

On that, I consider the jpeg/gif/png battle, which was lost, largely and
is lately been recognized.
jpeg has loosened,gif, not so much and is lessening in open source and
sparse available funding sources.
When a commercial enterprise insists upon significant financial
remuneration, commercial screws itself.
When commercial meets and plays along on minor points of profit, to
mutual benefit, commercial succeeds.
Small hint, how many *gif images have movement, without massive
payments? Then, consider the changeover, which is still in progress.