[mythtv-users] MythTV Player 1.1.5 available to all on Google Play Store

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 03:35:16 UTC 2015

On 04/13/2015 10:12 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
> James,
> In order to help, i would need some further information, such as the device
> you are trying to run it on, your mythtv backend version, etc.
>
> I put the external play option in there because some users requested not to
> have to always do a HLS Transcode. I tried it with VLC and it worked fine
> for me. Your mileage may vary.  Others have reported they had success with
> VLC, some didn't.  They tried other players like MX Player, DIce Player,
> etc.  There are lots of them in the Google Play Store.  Try another one.
>
> That being said, I cannot support the External Players directly.  It is not
> code that I have any control over.
>
> For Streaming, make sure your backend is configured with the correct
> streaming configuration.  You need a Streaming Storage Group setup.  The
> progress indicator with run indeterminately until your backend has reported
> some progress on the HLS transcode. If you are not receiving and update,
> then check your backend, it probably isn't running the HLS transcode or it
> failed for some reason.  Look in your logs.
>
> Lastly, I am just one person working on this code in my spare time. It is
> one way that I can give back to mythtv. Bill Meek has helped me
> considerably with all the testing and documentation. And more people are
> starting to report bugs and enhancements. I will address them in turn.

Unfortunately (for others), I run 0.28-pre and record nearly everything in
HD. And that works both with HLS and VLC. Between 0.28-pre, 0.27, SD and HD,
there are (obviously) 8 test cases. 3 are failing and in 2 of those cases,
mythtranscode is dropping 10's of thousands of "Audio stream changed" errors.
That's not an app error. But users can't tell unless they look at their
mythtranscode.log. Not something that's expected of them.

0.27 HD VLC may be 'jerky'. I've got no clue why this happens.

https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythtvPlayerForAndroid/wiki/Home

--
Bill