[mythtv-users] alt lightweight web servers for MythTV?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sun Apr 12 04:32:57 UTC 2015

On Apr 10, 2015, at 8:12 AM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:

> Any further assistance will be much appreciated.

Sorry to disappear, got busy for a bit. If you’re still stuck:

> I put that file into a folder I'd created under /var/www/html and, after a bit of research on the web regarding file/folder permissions for web sites, made a guess at what sort of permissions might work on files/folders located there. Having done that I can, using the address http://localhost, view that index.html. This seems further confirmation that basic elements are in place and operational, correct?

I think you're right, the elements are in place. For the "right" permissions you can do "ps aux | grep nginx" and take a look at the user column. There should be one master process owned by root and a couple of workers. On debian they're run as user "www-data", don't know about gentoo. Anyway the served files need to be either owned by that user or readable for the user. You can test readability by doing, as root, su username -c "cat /path/to/a/web/file".

> I'm uncertain what you mean by "if you’re using an additional one for myth that one too," so I'll address the part that I do understand. /etc/nginx/nginx.conf on my FE/BE machine is essentially as shown on the Gentoo wiki (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Nginx, single-site access example), though with the fpm-php stanza the wiki also shows, added, and the line "root /var/www/localhost/htdocs;" modified to point to the folder containing index.html on my system. I did also fiddle with the "server_name localhost;" value in nginx.conf, changing "localhost" to the static IP my FE/BE machine is assigned on my LAN. I thought that might allow me to access, from a remote machine, at least something nginx might be serving on the FE/BE. But that revision did not permit such access: I can still only view index.html from localhost.

OK, skip what I said about additional configs. Your problem is with the nginx.conf line that says "listen 127.0.0.1", remote machines are coming in on your lan interface but you aren't listening there. You can cover local and remote interfaces by changing that line to say "listen 80". The servername line is for virtual hosts and what that means is you can configure your network so your mythbox is reachable through multiple names and by using different "server { server_name NAME }" stanzas you could have http://mythtv/ get served from one directory, http://photos/ served from another, etc. Since you're going with single-site virtual hosts don't apply so leave it as localhost.

- George