[mythtv-users] H265 support

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Apr 11 11:35:45 UTC 2015

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 09:36:54 +0100, you wrote:

>On 11/04/15 00:22, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
>> I really don't have any plans to use h265 for quite some time.  I really
>> doubt the cable companies are going to start using it since many of them
>> are still stuck on mpeg2.  I also can't see OTA changing that much too, but
>> I could be wrong.
>>
>> I would guess since Myth is mostly for DVR type recordings, I don't think
>> it will be well supported.  Another guess is that most of the support for
>> h265 within myth would be done outside of myth with an external player.
>> Again, these are only guesses and speculations.
>>
>> If you have a big library with h265, you might want to look at Kodi.  v14
>> has it built in (software decoding), and v15 nightlies has it for hardware
>> decoding (limited).
>>
>Remember that mythtv is used in other places round the world than just the US.
>It is possible that some of those other places may begin carrying h265 before
>the US gets around to it. We'd like some support.

And that downloaded videos are already starting to be encoded in
H.265.  I have two so far, and VLC can play them just fine in Windows
7, but I have yet to find a way to play them on my Mythbuntu 14.04
box.  Mythfrontend and mplayer both lock up if I play them, and VLC
complains it has no way of playing an hevc file.