[mythtv-users] H265 support

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 23:22:27 UTC 2015

I really don't have any plans to use h265 for quite some time.  I really
doubt the cable companies are going to start using it since many of them
are still stuck on mpeg2.  I also can't see OTA changing that much too, but
I could be wrong.

I would guess since Myth is mostly for DVR type recordings, I don't think
it will be well supported.  Another guess is that most of the support for
h265 within myth would be done outside of myth with an external player.
Again, these are only guesses and speculations.

If you have a big library with h265, you might want to look at Kodi.  v14
has it built in (software decoding), and v15 nightlies has it for hardware
decoding (limited).