[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.27.4: Trouble-free LiveTV with ivtv?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 23:01:52 UTC 2015

On 10 April 2015 at 15:03, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi Nick,
>
> Friday, April 10, 2015, 3:55:28 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 10 April 2015 at 13:56, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Starting LiveTV (defaulting to ivtv-based input) results in about 0.5s
>>> of audio, a frozen picture on the screen, and then silence. The
>>> recording file is still being written to. If I pause the playback for
>>> 2-3s and then resume, playback corrects and LiveTV proceeds normally
>>> until the next programme transition.
>
> As said at the time my problem was no sound as you describe. I at the
> time didn't test with pausing etc. I just bought the pvr500 secondhand
> and noticed no sound, so I sought and found this patch. As I have
> understood it reverts a change made for newer supported ivtv devices.
> And as you say you upgraded your kernel and it is very well possible
> this thing was introduced after your previous kernel. The bussing in
> the audio as Karl also mentioned is a different thing.

Hey Hika,

After re-reading the forum post again, I still don't believe we are
talking about the same issue.

In my case, audio and video playback stops (I think) because there is
not yet enough recorded (video) buffer for playback to start. If I
pause for a second or two and then resume playback, audio and video
are both perfectly normal.

As the ivtv driver is only initialised once when the LiveTV session
starts, and I do not experience tinny audio or missing audio, the ivtv
driver seems to be working just fine. The symptoms described in the
forum post suggest that video would be recorded normally but audio
would be tinny or missing altogether.

Scheduled recordings are also perfect (just watched the latest UK
Blacklist episode, recorded a few hours ago, without any issues at
all).

Cheers,
Nick