[mythtv-users] H265 support

dennis deg at outlook.com
Fri Apr 10 17:20:30 UTC 2015

 From everything I have read, H.265 is the "next big thing" and will be
used with 4K bluray and is also part of the DVB-T2 standard.  I just
started using it to compress 4K home videos down to a decent size.
Encoding takes forever (I'm getting about 5 fps encoding) , but the
quality is incredible!

I know there is currently software support for H.265 currently in ffmpeg
(via libx265) and vlc.   I tried one of my H.265 encodings ( which works
perfectly with VLC ) but just audio from within mythtv.   In looking at
the Nvidia  documentation it also looks like hardware (VDPAU) decode
H.265 it is supported with driver vers. 349.12 for 2nd gen maxwell cards.

Does anyone know if or when H.265 support is planned for mythtv?

Thanks,
Dennis