[mythtv-users] alt lightweight web servers for MythTV?

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Fri Apr 10 14:23:49 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 6:27 AM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>>> I've never actually used it.  I'd read up on the docs for
>>> webapp-config with nginx in general.
>>

>> Thanks for bringing webapp-config to my attention, Rich. I've looked over
>> the wiki article and it looks like that application might be helpful: the
>> fact that webapp-config is said to handle ownership/permissions issues is
>> certainly an attractive feature. But I've gotten a bit confused by
>> statements made toward the beginning of the article, to the effect that
>> "webapp-config . . . is used for automatic setup of web applications in
>> virtual hosting environments" and "webapp-config is aimed at providing the
>> package management functionality that web server administrators need when
>> running multiple web sites off of the same computer (virtual hosting)."
>> These statements do not describe my scenario: I will run only one site from
>> my FE/BE machine, and that will (hopefully) be MythWeb. There is no virtual
>> hosting, so far as I can grasp that concept, in place here. Given that no
>> virtual hosting is in play, will webapp-config really be applicable to my
>> situation?
>

> Yes, webapp-config is used for all web app setup as far as I can tell.

Correct.  The mythweb package installs files to /usr, and doesn't
place config files and such in /etc or the htdocs in /var.
webapp-config is used to install everything else.  This is generally
the right way to install a web application even if you don't have
multiple vhosts or applications on the system.

Otherwise you're going to end up having to mess with
configs/permissions/etc to get it to work at all, and then anytime you
update mythweb you'll have to do this again as you'll be fighting the
package manger which doesn't expect you to be touching stuff in /usr.
If you install the application using webapp-config then you can adjust
things in /var and /etc as necessary, and then upgrade your
installations when desired.  It is designed to be a more generic
solution, able to work for a single host, or if you want to have 47
domains running mythweb not all being upgraded at the same time.  That
can make it a bit less straightforward than on other distros.

--
Rich