[mythtv-users] graphic card in the backend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Apr 10 11:32:52 UTC 2015

On 10/04/15 09:53, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I am writing lots of questions this week, I am migratin my mythtv
> frontends and backend to Debian Jessi from Wheezy and I want to
> configure well.
>
> I have a backend server that has a mother board with no VGA, so I need
> to add a graphic card. I have 2 options:
>
> NVIDIA GeForce 210
> AMD Radeon HD 5450
>
> I am not going to install any desktop on it. My question is: Could use
> the GPU power for something? Maybe transcoding? Which card would you
> choose for this?
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Kind regards.

I am surprisd that you can find any motherboard these days which doesn't have an
inbuilt video capability.

Providing you have enough to get the system booted and you can install the
software you need, just go with what is on the motherboard. Any further
tweaking, or even running mythtv-setup, can be done from any other host by using
ssh.

I once had an old motherboard running my server and it had no video at all. I
simply plugged in an old PCI VGA card just to get booted, then did all the rest
via ssh.

--

Mike Perkins