[mythtv-users] Open Source Linux driver for Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1080p over HDMI) released!

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Apr 9 18:55:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/9/15 2:13 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> I think you will find that the net has been cast rather tightly and that
>> HDMI splitters available in North America are all HDCP compliant on both
>> sides of the box..
>

> Looking at an example splitter
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UYOEMI>, it appears that at least
> at some point this one stripped out HDCP.  However, they've apparently
> changed to a model that does not:
> <http://www.amazon.com/review/R2WWKB2ASVXJG6/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003UYOEMI&nodeID=468642&store=videogames>

There are three kinds of HDMI splitters wrt HDCP.

1. Those that strip HDCP protection.
2. Those that are HDCP compliant on both sides.
3. Those that detect HDCP on the input and, when encrypted, don't pass
anything through (or pass audio but not video).

Those in class 1 are hard to find.  A few of the very early models did
that, but you won't find that on anything current.

I have two HDMI splitters.  One is type 2, and one is type 3.

Eric