[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.27.4: Trouble-free LiveTV with ivtv?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 17:38:29 UTC 2015

Hoi Karl,

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 7:51 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Hoi Nick,
>>
>> Thursday, April 9, 2015, 2:30:37 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > I'm wondering if there are any users running the current stable
>> > release of MythTV (0.27.4) with ivtv-based hardware capture card(s)
>> > (i.e. PVR-150/250/500) who do *not* have any problems with LiveTV
>> > playback?
>>
>> > If you are one of the lucky ones, please could you provide details of
>> > your distribution, kernel version, and any patches you have needed to
>> > apply.
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> > Nick
>>
>> I don't know what troubles you're revering to. The only problem I have
>> with my two PVR500 cards is the seek tables. They are incorrect on
>> recording and I have to rebuild them, which I cannot do on liveTV.
>> I use the latest Gentoo ebuild with kernel 3.12.13 I have to upgrade
>> sometime in the near future. I use a patch for sound issues on the
>> PVR500 The one 350 I have works OK.
>>

> Hika,

> What are the symptoms of your seek table issues with your PVR500? I haven't
> noticed any problems with seek tables with my PVR500. Maybe it's a PAL/NTSC
> thing? Also, what patch are you using for the sound issues? I am using a
> command that runs after a channel change (can't access my system right now
> but I think it's ivtvctl or maybe v4lctl or something like that) which
> re-assigns the audio to avoid the "buzzing". It's completely solved the
> problem but it does add some delay to channel change. If there's a driver
> fix I'd like to explore that. Oh, and I'm also on kernel 3.12 currently
> because I had screen freezes on intel with kernel versions >=~3.16. It's
> apparently fixed in 3.19 so when that goes stable I'll move to that.

> Thanks,

> Karl

I had a long discussion about those seek table issues on this list
last spring. I didn't have them on 0.26 and it's possible they don't
show on my second PVR500, just as the sound issue. They are different
with different sub components. In essence if I just play the file it
goes OK, but a wrong, to short, duration is shown and at the end it
plays past what it thinks is the end. But if I jump it jumps wrong and
I cannot jump past what it thinks is the end. It was suggested it has
to do with variable frame count or so. I haven't been able to really
pinpoint it and as I rarely use liveTV and rebuilding solves it...

The sound issue is a different one then you mention. Without the patch
I simply have no sound on the first PVR500 I acquired. It's a patch to
the initialization section in ivtv-streams.c. As I understand it's a
part that was brought in for later ivtv devices and goes wrong whith a
small part of older ones. I have to look it up. I might have the link
stil to the discussion list I picked it off. I remember I also saw a
lot of mentioning about your issue, but it was over a year ago, so
it's vague.

Thanks about mentioning that kernel issue, but my backend/server is
all amd, so probably not applicable. I left of upgrading mainly
because it needs rebooting and repatching and I have to do that in the
nightly hours, when it's not recording or doing other things I don't
want to interrupt. All my frontends though are intel based.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop