[mythtv-users] Need to update kernel because of PCTV 292e stick .. help

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Thu Apr 9 16:02:56 UTC 2015

> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:36:51 +0100, you wrote:

>>> I used the "Anyone wishing to opt into the hardware enablement stack
>>> for Trusty" incantation last night, from my existing 14.04 setup.  It
>>> took a few minutes and all seems well (using 290e).
>>>
>>> John
>> That's encouraging, thanks John!
>>
>> Is it simply a matter of copying and pasting this into the terminal? ...
>>
>> sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-lts-utopic libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic libegl1-mesa-drivers-lts-utopic
>>
>> Damian
> Yes, that is the command.  I normally do an "apt-get update" first so
> I have the latest package lists.
>
> When I do a major upgrade like this, I usually do an image backup of
> my system partition first.  If it works, it works well.  But if not,
> there is no easy way back without a proper backup.  It is not quite as
> big an upgrade as a new version of Ubuntu, but it carries the same
> risk that your system may not boot up properly.  I use a CloneZilla
> boot disk for image backups, and it takes around half an hour to
> backup my system partition (30 Gbytes in use), and a bit less if I
> need to do a restore.  So before starting I always make sure I have
> enough time before my next scheduled recording for a backup, upgrade,
> testing and a possible restore if necessary - at least two hours,
> preferably three.
OK people,

I'm back from my trip and about to do this thing!

I've seen a couple of different possibilities though. There's this ...

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-utopic
xserver-xorg-lts-utopic libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic
libegl1-mesa-drivers-lts-utopic

and this ...

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-lts-utopic
libegl1-mesa-drivers-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-utopic
xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-utopic

and maybe others?

Which should I be doing?

I'm running a standard Mythbuntu backend that's regularly updated etc.

Thanks,
Damian