[mythtv-users] suspend with nvidia driver

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 17:59:03 UTC 2015

Hoi Josu,

> Hello list,

> I want to configure my frontend to suspend when exit from the frontend.

> I make a script to shutdown this way:

> killall mythfrontend
> sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm stop
> sudo pm-suspend

> It works well, then I can resume it with a remote key.

> But the problem is that it doesn't show nothing in the TV. I think
> that it is a the nvidia driver problem.

> I try to "rmmod nvidia" and "modprobe nvidia" but nothing. When I
> start lightdm "/etc/init.d/lightdm start" it doesn't show nothing.

> I am using Debian Jessie with Nvidia 340.65.

> Anyone use to suspend nvidia frontends?

> Thanks for your help.

> Best regards.

First a few questions:
What nvidia card and driver are you using?
What do you mean by "it doesn't show nothing in the TV"? I assume you
mean, you don't get any picture/image.
If so, how is it connected and is there a second screen that works?
I assume it's connected by hdmi and you have a second screen on vga or
dvi?

Second no need to kill the frontend and X. I don't.
Third you can only unload nvidia if it is no longer in use. So X must
be killed and your text screen must run on a framebuffer not supplied
by nvidia eg vesa (not the opensource nvidia framebuffer, they don't
like each other). But even then I'm not sure you can unload.
Forth older nvidia cards have problems returning from suspend. You
need to save and restore the video memory. At least that works for me
on the one card showing this problem.

I'm not entirely familiar with pm-suspend. I use the hibernate scripts
coming with the TuxOnIce kernel patch. They offer an easy option for
video memory saving and restoring. You can use these scripts without
TuxOnIce.

It is possible if you use hdmi the tv needs to be fully on and powered
on before resuming. Else hdmi might get disabled. Especially since you
kill and restart X. X needs to see the tv to negotiate settings.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop