[mythtv-users] analog and HDMI audio output

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 15:33:06 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 5:03 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Hika, old school solution, readily understood by this hammer
> wielder, but would involve reverting back to analog, from HDMI and blutooth.
>
> There are HDMI -> Analogue splitters/extractors.

Thanks Simon, but at first look this solution would, at best leave me with
a 3.5mm patch cord crossing the living room floor, and possibly leave me
with only one output instead of both.

Thanks Josu, here are the results of aplay:

trieli at mythtv:~$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1705 Analog [VT1705 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1705 Digital [VT1705 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 2: VT1705 Alt Analog [VT1705 Alt Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
trieli at mythtv:~$ aplay -L
default
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
null
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
sysdefault:CARD=SB
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=SB,DEV=1
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Digital
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=SB,DEV=2
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Alt Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=SB,DEV=1
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Digital
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=SB,DEV=2
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Alt Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=SB,DEV=1
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Digital
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=SB,DEV=2
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Alt Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=SB,DEV=1
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Digital
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=SB,DEV=2
    HDA ATI SB, VT1705 Alt Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    Hardware device with all software conversions
trieli at mythtv:~$