[mythtv-users] Mysql 5.5 to 5.6 upgrade on Gentoo

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 21:26:14 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Rich Freeman
<r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

>> Ah...that explains it.  Interestingly though, that same upgrade
>> mentioned above (from 5.1.70 to 5.5.39) didn't rebuild mythtv.
>
> Was that a recent version of mythtv?  Since no linking is broken,
> you'd only get a rebuild if there was a slot operator dependency, and
> I only added those around last summer.

It appears it was the same version I'm running now, which is
media-tv/mythtv-0.27.3_p20140907 (a with a patch for the schedules
direct changes that went into 0.27.4).

>> I see that that previous upgrade from 5.1.70 to 5.5.39 did in fact
>> rebuild dev-qt/qtsql via @preserved-rebuild.  Maybe the deps were
>> different then.
>
> Again, @preserved-rebuild does not in any way depend on dependencies.
> It works if actual links break - such as no library has the right
> SONAME.  If things break because upstream changed the ABI without
> changing the SONAME, or something is being loaded but doesn't have a
> direct link (such as by using dlopen, and there are probably 500 other
> possible causes), then @preserved-rebuild won't detect the potential
> breakage.  This was why slot operator dependencies were created - they
> allow package maintainers to make these kinds of relationships
> explicit rather than trying to detect things when they're about to
> break.
>
> --
> Rich

Thanks for the wealth of info there!  That explains a ton of things I
never understood before.

Tom