[mythtv-users] Multiple antennas, 2nd tuner

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 19:41:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 1:33 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> On 01/04/15 03:37 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:03 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org
>>

>   > Wow!  Solid reception from reflection. That IS remarkable. And you
>> must be at some elevation to be able to get Rochester as it is about 90
>> miles to the Rochester transmission towers
>>  >

>> Yeah, balcony's about 108 feet up. As I mentioned in the link, my
>> antenna for the first 3.5 years of cord-cutting was a small $50 Terk and
>> except for a few problem channels (and that's -problem-, not missing),
>> was getting all of Toronto, Buffalo, Hamilton and ION near Roc. Even
>> tropo season was fun doing some major Dx'ing. With a little Terk. The
>> C2V should make the summer months even more fun.
>>
>> Getting back to Myth though...I'll probably favour the Buffalo aimed
>> antenna and Homerun. The wiki mentioned something about deleting the
>> capture cards and redoing the one you want to favour first as that will
>> make it easier for the scheduler to choose ABC from the "aimed directly
>> at Buffalo" antenna over the "aimed at a bounce building but still
>> getting Buffalo" antenna. Is that still the recommended path?
>>

> You have a number of choices.
> 1)      If you are going to have both tuners on HDHR#1 fed from the
> 'Buffalo' antenna, then you might leave the Buffalo channels off the
> *other* lineup.
> 2)      If you are going to split the lineups, then you probably should
> use priorities, to have the 'reflected' path(and tuners) have a lower
> priority. That way you get Buffalo OTA on the Buffalo antenna first, until
> all are in use, and only then does the scheduler use the 'reflected' feed.
> In that setup, you would have the Buffalo channels in both lineups.
>
> The kicker on use-case #2 is that you must remember to assign priorities
> to your PROGRAMS as you set up recordings. That way the scheduler can bump
> *your* desired recording of say, Darts, in favour of the greatly to be
> desired recording for she-who-must-be obeyed of say, Greys Anatomy, on the
> prime antenna+tuner combo.
>
> Decisions, decisions......

The good thing for me is that I've been going four years with the reflected
bounce setup and Buffalo is mostly great there. I just have one Buffalo
station that has some breakup issues while watching and another one that
has some strength issues.

The "new" Buffalo-aimed antenna will be amped to bring in another station
or two 24/7 so, if anything, that antenna will have some Toronto stations
removed because they'd overpower the HDHR.

All the stations we get and can get are all in the same Schedules Direct
lineup, so there's nothing to change there.

So, if I have all this down correctly:

1) delete all capture cards
2) add in the Buffalo-aimed capture card
3) add in the reflected capture card
4) Video Source can remain the same, right?
5) Input Connections: I create "Buffalo-aimed" and "Bounce" and delete some
channels where necessary though most will exist in both.

The HDHR is coming via ground from the West Coast, so I have a few days to
work this out. :-)

Thanks.