[mythtv-users] Multiple antennas, 2nd tuner

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 2 17:33:30 UTC 2015

On 01/04/15 03:37 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:03 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org

>  > Wow!  Solid reception from reflection. That IS remarkable. And you
> must be at some elevation to be able to get Rochester as it is about 90
> miles to the Rochester transmission towers
>  >

> Yeah, balcony's about 108 feet up. As I mentioned in the link, my
> antenna for the first 3.5 years of cord-cutting was a small $50 Terk and
> except for a few problem channels (and that's -problem-, not missing),
> was getting all of Toronto, Buffalo, Hamilton and ION near Roc. Even
> tropo season was fun doing some major Dx'ing. With a little Terk. The
> C2V should make the summer months even more fun.
>
> Getting back to Myth though...I'll probably favour the Buffalo aimed
> antenna and Homerun. The wiki mentioned something about deleting the
> capture cards and redoing the one you want to favour first as that will
> make it easier for the scheduler to choose ABC from the "aimed directly
> at Buffalo" antenna over the "aimed at a bounce building but still
> getting Buffalo" antenna. Is that still the recommended path?

You have a number of choices.
1)	If you are going to have both tuners on HDHR#1 fed from the 'Buffalo'
antenna, then you might leave the Buffalo channels off the *other* lineup.
2)	If you are going to split the lineups, then you probably should use
priorities, to have the 'reflected' path(and tuners) have a lower
priority. That way you get Buffalo OTA on the Buffalo antenna first,
until all are in use, and only then does the scheduler use the
'reflected' feed. In that setup, you would have the Buffalo channels in
both lineups.

The kicker on use-case #2 is that you must remember to assign priorities
to your PROGRAMS as you set up recordings. That way the scheduler can
bump *your* desired recording of say, Darts, in favour of the greatly to
be desired recording for she-who-must-be obeyed of say, Greys Anatomy,
on the prime antenna+tuner combo.

Decisions, decisions......

Geoff