[mythtv-users] Upgrade Mythbuntu and stay on .26

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Sep 29 15:13:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 09:38:59 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>
>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2014-09-27 at 08:16 -0500, Brent Bolin wrote:
>> > New release '14.04.1 LTS' available.
>> > Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.
>> >
>> > Can I safely do an upgrade to 14.04 LTS and still run MythTV .26 ?
>>
>> Is there a reason you need 14.04 LTS?  Don't upgrade just for the sake
>> of it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If you are on 12.04 LTS that
>> is supported for what, another 3 years or so.
>>
>> So unless 14.04 gives you something you need, 12.04 will satisfy any
>> requirement to get security/bug fixes (to whatever extent that Ubuntu
>> actually do fix bugs -- they at least do seem to push security fixes)
>> for a while now.
>>
>> b.
>
>Part of this is from what I've been reading on the forums about Schedules
>Direct grabber.  Not sure if the grabber is ported to .26 or .27 or if it's
>going to be a stand alone rollout.  Just not sure if I want to be upgrading
>the OS and MythTV all at once.

I would certainly not recommend doing an OS upgrade at the same time
as a MythTV upgrade if you can avoid it.  So I would recommend
upgrading MythTV from 0.26 to 0.27 first and making sure that was
stable before trying the 12.04 to 14.04 upgrade.  I found the 0.26 to
0.27 upgrade to be relatively painless, but the 12.04 to 14.04 one
rather more difficult - I am still working on some niggling issues.