[mythtv-users] Using IR Remotes without LIRC

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Sep 26 18:40:51 UTC 2014

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:16:00 -0600, you wrote:

> > this may not
>> be the way X is supposed to work.  I'll attempt to figure that out, and file
>> an xorg bug report if i cant find documentation detailing this aspect
>
>Cool, thanks Mike!!
>
>> the ability to control
>> whether and how fast keys autorepeat
>
>I haven't played with it yet, but I recall seeing options for
>autorepeat speed in either ir-keytable or evtest. If I can figure it
>out, I will add it to the wiki.

Yes, ir-keytable seems to have some autorepeat controls, but I have
never tried them as they apply to all keys.  I only want certain keys
like the arrows to autorepeat, and some I want different autorepeat
rates on.  So I need lirc to do that.

>> and the ability to assign
>> different keystrokes to buttons for different programs.
>
>Perhaps if you used Myth's Keybindings to make it mimic mplayer's
>controls (though there may be unresolvable conflicts)?

Yes, there are almost certainly unresolvable conflicts.  I looked at
doing that and it would be a huge effort and unlikely to succeed.  And
it only gets worse if you add more programs to be controlled by lirc.

>> I also need to run lirc for my IR transmitter.
>
>Ok, that would be a deal-breaker. :)

Not really, as you can use lirc for just the IR transmitter and run
mythfrontend using the direct ir-keytable keystrokes.