[mythtv-users] Shellshock discussion

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 17:04:43 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> You at least have to log off all existing shells for it to take full
> effect.

No, you do not.  Not for this one.  Just looking
at the patch will tell you that, or, if you wish,
read the more reputable reports.  Here is one
from a major enterprise linux vendor:

  https://access.redhat.com/articles/1200223

(read towards the bottom where it says "Do I need
to reboot services".  The only exception to the
reboot is if you are already compromised, in which
case you may actually need to re-install, depending
on how the exploit persistantized itself).

Note that I assert you have (likely) actually proved my
point.  You have (likely) already expended more effort
than just applying the patch on almost all distributions
(if you compile the entire gnu userland from source,
I accept it may take a bit longer to complete).