[mythtv-users] Replace backend 3.5 system disk with 2 2.5 raid1?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 25 18:18:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Mike Rice <mikerice1969 at gmail.com> wrote:

> After losing the system disk on my backend last night and spending 2 hours
> re-installing it, I am looking for ways to avoid emergency fixes.
>
> The backend/occasional frontend is currently running Mythbuntu/mythtv
> 0.25.  Recordings go to two 2TB drives, video/photos/music on another 2TB
> drive.  The CPU is few years old Core i5 with plenty of memory and I have
> no problems with performance.
>
> The system disk is currently a 3.5 desktop drive.  I am considering
> replacing this with 2 2.5 sata drives with raid1.  I am hoping this would
> let me wait until the weekend to replace a failing drive.  Would I notice
> any significant performance change?  Should I expect any other problems
> with this change?

You do realize that you can raid partitions, not just drives?

My system has its OS/database mirrored across the first partition of all 3
of my recording drives.  Essentially I created a 50GB partition on each
drive, mirrored them with mdadm, and mounted it as /.  The remainder of the
drives is not raided. There are various guides on how to put your /boot on
a mirrored array, I have actually tested disconnecting a drive, and other
than the missing recordings, the system booted and functioned normally.