[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu frontend/backend hardware recommendations

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 02:50:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Brian S <inanimatecrbnrod at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/24/2014 04:06 PM, jedi wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:07:14PM +0200, Swanseasurfing wrote:
>
> If you're looking for living-room compatible cases have a look a
> Silverstone cases. They are not that expensive and quite attractive.
>
>     Be mindful of the depth. Most PC cases are too deep. This includes
> the ones from Silverstone. They may not fit inside your TV furniture.
>
> I will second this. I'm using a thermaltake lanbox for my living room BE,
> and while it's a pretty easy case to work with and looks nice from the
> front, the poor entertainment center required some "minor" retrofitting in
> the rear.

I've just put together a new mythtv combined FE/BE system in the
SilverStone Raven
(http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RVZ01&area=en).
It slots nicely in to the old DVD hole at the front of the TV stand.
It comes with two fans which we don't hear at all, and even with the
poor ventilation in the TV stand the CPU & GPU temperatures hover in
the mid 30's C and haven't got above 50C.  It's only a few weeks old,
and hasn't been through a summer yet (I'm in Melbourne, Australia) so
things could still go wrong, but so far it is looking good, and the
WAF did go up after replacing the old system (a much larger and
noisier 2005 era box that had to sit on top of the TV stand).

HTH,
Alistair