[mythtv-users] what's the state of Intel HD 4000 / 4400 decoding?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Sep 25 02:34:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:12:40 -0700, you wrote:

>On 9/24/2014 1:39 PM, Tyler T wrote:
>>   > tl;dr - what are the limitations on mythfrontend with HD 4000/4400 graphics?
>>
>> I don't know how HD 4000 / 4400 maps to the chipsets listed here:
>>
>> http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver/
>>
>> but the newer chips appear to be able to hardware-assist MPEG-2
>> decoding via VA-API.
>>
>> I don't know if VDPAU (instead of VA-API) can be used on Intel
>> graphics, but there does seem to be blossoming support for VDPAU on
>> AMD graphics chips. So if you're willing to consider AMD, that may
>> widen your options a bit.
>>
>I'm in the process of building a new FE/BE system.  I was originally
>planning on using an NVidia graphics card, but was turned off a bit due
>to the extra fans and noise.  The MB will have an Intel Haswell i7, so I
>am now planning on trying the Intel video.  I still want to do the
>MPEG-2 decoding in software, and just use VA-API for the
>rendering/deinterlacing.  I think MythTV supports this configuration for
>VDPAU (NVidia), but is it supported with VA-API too?  If I cannot get it
>to work satisfactorily, I still have the option of installing an NVidia
>card.
>
>Jay

There are fanless Nvidia cards that do what is needed.  They usually
take up two slots due to the massive heatsink, but then lots of more
powerful normal Nvidia cards use two slots anyway for massive fans.
Apparently the bottom end Nvidia chips usually used in the current
generation of fanless cards are good for anything MythTV needs now,
unlike when I got my fanless Asus Bravo 220 card - back then the
Nvidia 210 chipsets did not have enough capability to do full
"Advancedx2" hardware deinterlacing, but could do everything else.