[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu frontend/backend hardware recommendations

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Wed Sep 24 22:28:38 UTC 2014

On 24/09/14 18:07, LC Mac wrote:
> I am about to embark on my first mythtv setup and am thinking of using
> mythbuntu. I would like to have one device as frontend and backend
> combined. I have done some research on hardware recommendations, but
> have not found anything recent and/or cost effective. Can anyone
> recommend an inexpensive setup (prefferably under $300 if this is
> possible) - PCU, tuner cards (I think I will go with HDHomerun), etc?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you don't plan to stream content, then a HP Microserver N54L might be
interesting for you. Though they're not as cheap in the US than here in
the UK as far as I can see. You can get them for £130 here and HP gives
you £30 cash back at the moment.

I use one as BE/FE with two HDHR network tuners. I only had to add a
nVidia graphics card to be able to run the FE on it. It uses only ~40W
when running.

HTH
Thomas