[mythtv-users] vlc for ISO-files

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Sep 24 18:47:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:24:58 +0200, you wrote:

>>> What version of MythTV are you running?
>

>0.27 (ppa repository)
>
>DVD ISO files (e.g.  created with dd) play garbled. Sometimes  looks like
>Lego bricks ;-)  Playing the DVD itself is fine.

Do NOT use dd to copy DVDs!  If there are any errors reading the DVD,
you will never know about it.  The proper tool for reading optical
disks to make images of them is readom ("read optical media").  It
does the proper error correction for reading DVDs and CDs.  DVDs and
CDs commonly have errors that are corrected using the extra error
correction data written to the disk.  Please try recopying some of
your bad images from the DVD with readom and see if the problems go
away.

Example of readom command on Mythbuntu (12.04-14.04):

  readom dev=/dev/cdrom f="/mnt/vid3/video/DVD/My DVD.iso"

If you have automounting of DVDs, you may need to unmount the DVD
before using readom.