[mythtv-users] MinnowBoard MAX

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Fri Sep 19 20:20:27 UTC 2014

On 05/16/2014 03:29 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> I did a quick search and it appears there has been no discussion on this, so
> thought I'd put it out there.
>
> http://www.minnowboard.org/meet-minnowboard-max/
>
> $99 MSRP: E3815 (single-core, 1.46 GHz)
> - 1 GB RAM
>
> $129 MSRP: E3825 (dual-core, 1.33 GHz)
> - 2 GB RAM
>
> - Integrated Intel® HD Graphics
>
> - Board Dimensions 	- 99 x 74mm (2.9 x 3.9in)
>

> - GB Ethernet
>
> - USB 3.0
>

> More expensive than a Raspberry PI, but should be able to easily run MythTV
> frontend with HD video?
>

> Perfect for mounting on the back of a TV. 5V, so I guess it can't be powered
> off USB.

I recently received a few of the dual core/2GB Minnowboard Max's.

I worked with Warpme from the Minimyth2 project to add EFI support to
his mythtv bootable image.

I have only played with the board under mythtv for a few hours but I
will give a short report out:

1) Plays 1080p/1080i video smoothly using 'VAAPI Normal' profile with
only 10% cpu load
2) HD audio is working with my receiver
3) Adding my MCE USB receiver and it is working
4) Netbooting with PXE using iPXE w/EFI support is working well
5) Suspend is working
6) Wake up from USB is working BUT the machine hangs before anything is
visible on the screen.  Still need to debug
7) Overall frontend performance in the menus is a little slow.  I think
it is comparable to my ion2 systems.  Occasional lag in the menus.
less than 1 second on my main frontend.
8) I am using a 5v, 2amp wall wart.  Playing back 1080p video is using 5
Watts of power.
9) It has a small heatsink, but it barely gets warm to the touch.

Overall, I am really impressed with this little board.  Now we just need
to get some good cases on the market for it.

Michael