[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Sep 19 18:44:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>> How could it 'scramble' the chanid's? Once the program has been recorded,
>> mythtv only retains the information for informational purposes. You may want
>> to re-record a previously recorded program if you can see that it was
>> recorded as SD, but is now available as HD.
>

> Basically the chanid is stored with the recorded program, and deleting the
> video source loses that link. If you delete ALL video sources, then
> re-creating the video source is likely to re-use chanids and they may not be
> the same as before. This matters to me because I have a number of movies
> that I've recorded on "normal" channels and I wrote a script which tells me
> when the movies are re-airing on comm free channels so I can schedule them
> to re-record. If myth had stored the xmltvid or even the callsign with the
> recording it could have a chance of matching them up after re-creating video
> sources but that's not how it's set up, so it's left with broken foreign
> keys.

Thank you Karl, you nailed it exactly.  Not only does it mess up
scripts like this, but it's generally ugly in the frontend to see the
displayed channel info as (best case) #1034 for a deleted channid
1034, or worse, some completely unrelated channel.

>> If you 'Delete All Video Sources' in mythtv-setup you can then (re)create
>> them in the sd-utility, If you do so in the same order, the chanid's will be
>> replicated.
>

> Hopefully...

There's almost no likelihood that the channids will match.  Channels
get added and removed by providers all the time.  If you're tracking
changes in a channel line up over a period of years and wipe it all
out and reload the current lineup, you can pretty much guarantee that
the channid assignments will not match what you had previously.

Thankfully, RK is saying that deleting all video sources will likely
not be necessary for production systems.  That's good and we should
all just sit tight and not rush into any destructive actions.

Eric