[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Sep 19 16:01:17 UTC 2014

On 19/09/14 09:31 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>> On an existing setup, there is no need to touch or change the Capture Card
>> settings. When the changeover takes place, you should delete all Video
>> Sources, in mythtv-setup, before creating new lineups with the sd-utility.
>
> Seriously?  This is highly disruptive.  There has to be a better way.

Sorry there is no other way.

> When you wipe out channels from the channel table, previously recorded
> programs in the recorded table will have dangling references to
> channels that don't exist.

That depends upon whether you care to make the change correctly *so that
does not happen*.

'Previously recorded' program matching does not use the chanid.

Recording rules (going forward) may use the chanid  if you have any
'This Channel' selections. That is effectively, the only place where
chanid is a selectable usable choice for the user (even though the
actual chanid is never visible to the user).

>When you add new channels it may reuse
> chanid's previously in use, basically scrambling the channel ids on
> every recorded program.

How could it 'scramble' the chanid's? Once the program has been
recorded, mythtv only retains the information for informational
purposes. You may want to re-record a previously recorded program if you
can see that it was recorded as SD, but is now available as HD.

So matching chanid's *exactly* what you want to do. You want to re-use
the chanids so that it is seamless and the old programs/channels match
the new programs.
( That is for our convenience: mythtv does not care. If you used to have
Time-Warner and now have Comcast, the fact that the old channel 'not
longer exists' is irrelevant to your present and on-going use.

If you 'Delete All Video Sources' in mythtv-setup you can then
(re)create them in the sd-utility, If you do so in the same order, the
chanid's will be replicated.

> Why is this necessary?

Because the present setup downloads from a server which is going away.
The new setup talks to a different server, which uses a different
structure and different lineup naming scheme. The Video Sources have to
be created (or recreated). If you don't re-create, you WILL get a new
set of chanid's since the sourceid's will be different.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury