[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 23:02:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> I have never had any problems with scanning, so long as the card is properly
> set up. Or are you talking about scanning on a cable setup?
> We don't need to do that anymore except for unencrypted QAM services (which
> are non-existent in Canada, and extremely rare in the US ofA).
>
> Maybe it's time for a new OTA tuner?

I'm using only OTA.  My aversion with scanning channels has nothing to
do with the actual scan...my reception is fine and it can do the
actual scan just fine and all that.  It's more around the whole flow
of how the scanning process works in the setup...and to be honest,
it's mostly stuff that has to do with things I've run into rescanning
for changes.  Ever since that old "minimal updates" option went away
I've never been clear on what the scan was going to do.  Some of the
prompts/questions etc are not clear to me at all.  Is that well
documented somewhere that I haven't seen?

The removal of the old selection that allowed you to change the
underscore channel number delimiter to a dot causes me a world of
grief as well.  I currently have my remote setup to use a dot.

>> Also, does anyone know if Joseph is correct in the above post, that
>> the XML service will continue to work?  That would certainly change
>> the level of urgency on all this.
>

> No the XML service is going away in November. That is why the new grabber is
> necessary.

That's what I thought.

As far as my other questions about possibly keeping channels, since
this requires a new video source it's clear that keeping the existing
channels isn't an option, there's no way I'm attempting to keep the
existing channels.

Tom