[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Sep 18 21:16:20 UTC 2014

On 18/09/14 04:04 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

> P.P.S.  I'm going to experiment with the json service anyway on a test
> host---I assume that nothing in the link-lineups instructions etc can
> possibly disturb my current lineups at SchedulesDirect or affect my
> current grabber on my production host, correct?

If you are using a test backend, different from your main box, there
will be no effect on your present SD setup. The two grabbers talk to
different servers entirely. To different computers can run in parallel
without problem.

The present data feed is XML from a source which Tribune calls
DataDirect. It will be going away. The new JSON service obtains data
from a different Tribune feed, crunches it a little and holds it on a
Schedules Direct server for delivery to the SD user as json.

The feed has more and better information about individual programs
including the long awaited and often requested season and episode data.
It also has guide data for almost all of North and South America and the
Caribbean and a number of European countries including UK and Germany.
(I may not be able to call it 'UK' after today, I guess!)

The sources and structures are different, and neither 'knows' anything
about the other. Hence the requirement for (re)creating your lineups and
linking to your Capture Cards on the new server.

On an existing setup, there is no need to touch or change the Capture
Card settings. When the changeover takes place, you should delete all
Video Sources, in mythtv-setup, before creating new lineups with the
sd-utility. (If you do not delete all Video Sources, you will end up
with a complete duplicate set of channels in the channel list and
duplicate channels in the Guide, with half of them empty of data).

And NO, there is no realistically reasonable method of using both at the
same time. One or the other, but not both.

Actual channel listings are now created and controlled on your local
machine. For cable type channels, you chose the lineup, and it lists ALL
of the available channels. You use the channel editor to set visible or
not ("1" or "0") the channels you actually wish to receive guide data
for. The grabber then requests data only for those channels (instead of
every possible one of the 800 plus channels which Comcast or Rogers can
push down the cable!). For OverTheAir channels, you do a channel scan,
to find the channels you can actually receive from among those listed.
Again, the 'visible' setting controls whether you want guide data for
that channel. The same thing can also be done, for QAM channels, and SD
can create custom lineups from the scan data.

After filling the guide with data, daily updates take only seconds to
run as only new or changed listings are downloaded.

HTH
--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury