[mythtv-users] after upgrade, frontend can't connect to backend?

Ken Truesdale kentruesdale at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 18:19:20 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Bill Meek
>Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:08 PM
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] after upgrade, frontend can't connect to
backend?

>Hi,
>
>Your description implies that the frontend could connect to the backend
prior to the upgrade. And that the connection to the remote DB on port
>3306 (usually) is OK.
>
>The frontend connects to the backend using the IP supplied from the DB and
it's getting 127.0.0.1 port 6543. That appears to be a backend setup
>problem. Which doesn't make sense if this was working before the upgrade.
>
>I'd pastebin your backend log, at it's startup. Or, at least be sure
there's a line like:

>     CoreContext serverpool.cpp:404 (listen) - Listening on TCP
192.168.1.211:6543

>--
>Bill

Well, I *thought* it worked before the upgrade.  Apparently I didn't check
well enough.  (I had rebuilt my backend computer from scratch and tested the
front end before the upgrade - don't know how my test worked - false
positive of some sort; note to self: test better next time.)

The problem indeed was in the backend.  Apparently, the "127.0.0.1" is what
the frontend was getting from the backend as the address of the backend.  Or
to put it another way, it isn't that the frontend stopped using the backend
and changed to the localhost - it was told to use that number by the
backend!  When I rebuilt the backend, I neglected to update the backend
setup master IP address.  A note to that effect actually is what was shown
in the error in the frontend log but I didn't believe it since the frontend
on the backend computer was working fine.  Hopefully, this thread will help
somebody else get by the problem faster than I did.

After changing the backend setup for both local and master to the correct IP
(not 127.0.0.1), I had backend flakiness - it kept crashing.  Turns out I
had also changed the IPv6 setting which it didn't like.  Switching the IPv6
back to ::1 solved the backend stability issue.  And it continues to be
accessible from the Frontend only computer too.

Thanks again, Bill!