[mythtv-users] Mythvidexport User Job Fails

Mike Carron jmcarron at starstream.net
Thu Sep 18 00:18:17 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 04:39 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 7/1/2014 1:05 AM, Mike Carron wrote:

>>> If the description does not match, then it doesn't matter, because the
>>> description is never used for matching anyway.  If the season and
>>> episode is lacking, it will try to use the episode subtitle. If the
>>> subtitle cannot be matched, it will revert to a generic export that
>>> defaults to using just the title.  In none of these cases should it
>>> crash, or report that the external grabber has crashed. Crashing
>>> should always be considered abnormal behavior, and something to be
>>> fixed.
>>>
>>> If the external grabber is crashing, as indicated by "External system
>>> call failed", then we need a traceback to figure out why.
>>>
>> ***
>> I would be glad to generate a traceback if I had a clue how to do it,
>> I'm not familiar with Python.
>
> An unhandled exception generates one automatically. Just run the
> grabber manually from the terminal using the same arguments.

***
Ok, I finally encountered an instance of mythvidexport failing with the
"External system call failed: code 1." The season and episode values
were missing from the file being exported. I ran mythmetadatelookup
--refresh-all from the command line and I didn't see any exception. It
ran to completion and I discovered that the file in question which had
no season or episode values now has them and a retry of mythvidexport
finished properly.

It appears that the lack of season and episode data was the cause of my
problem but I have no idea why simply running mythmetadatalookup again
would fix it.

mike