[mythtv-users] Very strange problems .. please help!

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Sep 17 17:59:52 UTC 2014

> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I've been using Mythbuntu for years and currently have version 12.04.5
> LTS of Xbuntu/Mythbuntu installed on my home server.
> >>
> >> The system has been very stable for a long time, but I have
> encountered some trouble tonight!
> >> It seems like all of the disks are write protected or something.
>
> >Inodes?
>
> >df -ih
>
> >Reboot
>
> >Btw this may not be a myth problem and a more generic Linux issue, so
> this list may not be completely appropriate.
>
> The output of df -ih is:
>
> df -ih
> Filesystem     Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/sda1        955K  955K     0  100% /
> udev             973K   500  972K    1% /dev
> tmpfs            983K   421  983K    1% /run
> none             983K     2  983K    1% /run/lock
> none             983K     1  983K    1% /run/shm
> /dev/sda4         12M   990   12M    1% /tv
> /dev/sdb1        117M  202K  117M    1% /files
>
> I don't know what this should normally look like, but that doesn't look
> right does it?

Definitely not.

 I would guess that something wrote a whole bunch of tiny (0 byte?) files
to /... using up all your inodes.  I would start looking in /tmp and /var.

You could run a command like the following from each directory and it
should give you a count of all the files smaller than 1 byte by
subdirectory... just iterate through the directories with the largest
numbers until you find all the files:

 sudo find -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read -r dir; do printf "%s:\t"
"$dir"; sudo find "$dir" -type f -size -1c| wc -l; done