[mythtv-users] Very strange problems .. please help!

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 17:54:01 UTC 2014

Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:

> df -ih
> Filesystem     Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/sda1        955K  955K     0  100% /
> I don't know what this should normally look like, but that doesn't look right does it?

Oh dear, as you say, it's not good.
What it means is that you cannot create a new inode on the root filesystem which will break all sorts of stuff. And inode is roughly equivalent to a file - each file is stored in an inode, and any directory entries for that file are simply pointers to that inode.

In practical terms, it means a file can be edited, but any operation that needs to create a new file (even temporarily) will fail with much the same symptoms as a full or read-only filesystem.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to expand this after filesystem creation.

What type of filesystem is / ? It'll be shown in the output of mount. With that detail, someone with more experience might be able to suggest a solution - other than "boot from a CD/DVD/memory stick, copy all files elsewhere, create new filesystem with more inodes, copy files back, fix bootloader, done"