[mythtv-users] HD PVR 2 status check, or alternatives

Andrew Theurer andrew.theurer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 00:03:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Ken Truesdale <kentruesdale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last fall there was a discussion about how there was no Linux support for
> the HD PVR 2.  I haven’t seen anything since and the wiki still says there
> is no support.  But I thought it’d be worth an e-mail to see if anyone was
> aware of any more recent developments.  Or anticipated developments.
>

> The goal is HBO (etc) recording capability.  I know the HD PVR will do it
> but I’d rather go with HDMI connections.  (The HDCP issue is not a concern
> for reasons previously discussed here.)  Still, if there is no Linux support
> for the HD PVR 2, I suppose component connections is better than trying to
> use the Comcast DVR.  Are people generally happy with the quality of the
> recording from the component connections?  Or if anyone has alternate
> suggestions for capture hardware, I’d be interested in those too.  Thanks!

I use the HD PVR with component an am generally satisfied with the
quality.  That's not to say it's as good as a non-analog path, it is
not.  I can usually tell I am watching a recording via HD PVR because
there's a bit less seamless color graduation in the picture,
especially in the background where one would have a gradual shift on
color or brightness.   You can see more contouring in those areas.
But as far as I know, there's no alternative....  I would love to see
a hd-homerun-like device that took hdmi input and spit out a video
stream over the network.

-Andrew