[mythtv-users] Very strange problems .. please help!

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 23:12:42 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I've been using Mythbuntu for years and currently have version 12.04.5
LTS of Xbuntu/Mythbuntu installed on my home server.

The system has been very stable for a long time, but I have encountered
some trouble tonight!
It seems like all of the disks are write protected or something.

I have run
sudo mount -o rw,remount /
(found online)
on all of the drives, but that doesn't seem to help.

Here's the output of df -h (again, that command online)
df -h
/dev/sda1        15G  8.6G  5.4G  62% /
udev            3.8G  4.0K  3.8G   1% /dev
tmpfs           787M  1.3M  785M   1% /run
none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none            3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /run/shm
/dev/sda4       189G  108G   72G  60% /tv
/dev/sdb1       1.8T  1.5T  269G  85% /files

A few other observations that might help track down the problem ...

A) If I try to add anything in Synaptic, I get the error:
E: Can't write /root/.synaptic/selections.proceed
and one of the lines I see in the terminal is:
socket.error: [Errno 28] No space left on device

B) If I try to create a file in my home directory, using nautilus get
the error:
There was an error creating the directory in /home/gingerserver.
and
Error opening file '/home/homeserver/Untitled Document': No space left
on device
in 'show more details'

C) If I try to run Dropbox, I see ...
IOError: [Errno 2] No usable temporary directory found in ['/tmp',
'/var/tmp', '/usr/tmp', '/home/homeserver']
in the terminal.
I then see a 'Downloading Dropbox' graphic pop up and scroll all the way
to 100%. As soon as it gets to 100%, the GUI says:
Trouble connecting to Dropbox servers. Maybe your internet connection is
down, or you need to set your http_proxy environment variable.

D) If I try to open Firefox, the terminal says:
** (firefox:5407): ERROR **: Resource problem creating
'/tmp/orbit-homeserver'
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Although I have been using Mythbuntu for years, I know almost nothing
about the command line. Everything I've entered above has been from
trying to find a solution online and simply copying and pasting the command.

I have been close to backing up this system before upgrading it to the
latest version of Mythbuntu. I assume I should try to get this fixed
before I start upgrading now!

Let me know if you have any ideas what to do next.

Thanks,
Damian