[mythtv-users] Duplicate Channels Cleanup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 16 02:31:50 UTC 2014

On 09/15/2014 07:50 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> We went over this before.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/570123#570123
>
> Just because you don't care about this kind of damage doesn't mean it
> isn't there.
>
> It's clear that neither one of us has changed our opinions since last
> May.  I'm not going to get into this one again (any more than I
> already have).

So you'd rather it say that your (ancient) show was recorded on SyFy,
even though it was recorded on SciFi?  Or even worse, when you recorded
that show on UPN, then your local UPN channel got turned into MyTV
because there was also a WB channel in your market that got turned into
CW, you want it to show that the recording came from your MyTV channel
even though the rest of the series is airing on CW?  That seems like
damage to me, versus just showing that the channel that aired the show
doesn't exist.

It's simply saying, "recorded from a channel that no longer exists."
IMHO, that's far more accurate than saying it was recorded from some
channel other than the one that really aired it.  Besides, those
recordings will be watched and deleted quickly or, if they're worth
keeping, they'll be archived into the Video Library, that--unlike the
Watch Recordings screen--was designed to handle large collections of videos.

Of course, if it really bothers you that much, just write a patch that
changes the fallback for channel to use the station (which we store, and
which contains the callsign) or some other value you feel is more
appropriate.  I would fully support this because no user should ever see
an internal database ID in the UI.

Mike