[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Richard Brook byronf16 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 23:57:28 UTC 2014

On Sep 15, 2014 6:49 PM, "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>

> On Tuesday, September 16, 2014, Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Why?? This is an appliance, youaren't supposed ot ever see the desktop.
>>
>> MythTv may be an appliance to you, but to me it is an application that I
use to watch LiveTV and record programming. When I am not watching LiveTv
or recordings, I use a web browser to access Internet sites such as
YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc., read email, play music, watch DVD's, and
other such things that utilize audio.

> Then don't use xfce or mythbuntu
>
> That's what Nick was referring to. If you want a desktop that can also
run mythtv, then using xfce is clearly not the best choice.

> You can of course start from mythbuntu default install and add some more.
>
> But don't complain that mythbuntu doesn't come with some widgets when it
clearly wasn't designed to do that.

I am not complaining. As I stated before, all I wanted to do was get MythTv
running under Ubuntu 14.04, like I have in past versions of Ubuntu and
MythTv. When I ran into trouble installing MythTv, under Ubuntu 14.04, I
came to this forum and was advised to install Mythbuntu and then configure
the Desktop the way I wanted. This is the first time I heard that Mythbuntu
was not designed to have a Desktop that functions like the one in Ubuntu.
There is even a setting, in the Applications menu, that let me install
Ubuntu Desktop.

I just assumed that the Mythbuntu 14.04 iso file I downloaded and installed
was just Ubuntu with MythTv added.

I never heard of XFCE before installing Mythbuntu, so I did not know it had
limitations that Unity and Gnome did not.

I am just trying to learn here, not stir up resentment.