[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Richard Brook byronf16 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 22:39:37 UTC 2014

On Sep 15, 2014 4:08 PM, "Nick Rout" <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> You can open a terminal and run `alsamixer` as a workarounnd...
> >
> > I have run alsamixer from Terminal, but why isn't there a way to add a
link
> > the volume control and sound settings in the Desktop Panel?
> >

> Why?? This is an appliance, youaren't supposed ot ever see the desktop.

MythTv may be an appliance to you, but to me it is an application that I
use to watch LiveTV and record programming. When I am not watching LiveTv
or recordings, I use a web browser to access Internet sites such as
YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc., read email, play music, watch DVD's, and
other such things that utilize audio.

I have been a Windows user for many years and an Ubuntu addict since
Windows Vista. I dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows 7, but I prefer to
just run Ubuntu as long as I can do everything I can in Windows.

When I first did a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04, I ran into issues trying
to install MythTv 27. I was advised, by members of this forum, to do a
clean install of Mythbuntu 14.04. I was told I could escape to the Desktop
whenever I wanted to. I did so and had no problems with MythTv, however,
configuring the Desktop the way I want has been more difficult.