[mythtv-users] Zero Byte Recordings

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sun Sep 14 22:29:47 UTC 2014

On 14/09/2014 10:59 PM, Andrew Potter wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I have been using Myth TV for about 2 ½ years or so with not many issues at
> all, it is a credit to the devs.
>

> Recently in an attempt to reduce power consumption I followed the ACPI
> wakeup/Sleep instructions and have run into an issue with Zero Byte
> Recordings.
>

> The backend is set to shutdown. It is most often one or two of the first
> scheduled recordings after a restart that seem to fail.
>

> I have three separate PlayTV tuners ( 6 tuners in total) and a HVR-2200 PCI
> tuner board. The three play tv units are added first, then the HVR unit.
> Recording is set to use tuners 1 onwards with Live TV as the last tuner
> backwards.
>

> I have tried to get the playtv tuners to turn off when the computer is off
> but have not had any success. The motherboard is a ASUS board and I have
> played with the ERP settings and can now see that the optical mouse does
> turn off but the red light on the playtv tuners stays on. I suppose I am
> guessing the tuners do not always come up correctly.
>

> Any pointers as to where I can go next is appreciated. I have listed some
> details below including a backend log.

Here are the udev rules I use for my PlayTV Tuners.  You would also need
to setup a udev rule for your HVR-2200 to ensure they are all on
consistent locations after each boot.  Adjust the ATTRS(serial) to suit
each of your PlayTV Tuners.  If all tuners are operating of the same
source, then it should not matter what order they boot in.

Also, look in boot log to see if they are cold booting or starting from
a warm state.  "dmesg | grep dvb".  They tend to play up a bit when
booted from "warm" state, as the firmware is not downloaded if found in
warm state.

[   28.953334] dvb-usb: found a 'Sony PlayTV' in warm state.

SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="SONY",
ATTRS{product}=="SCEH-0036", ATTRS{serial}=="ALR001MAXX",
PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c ' K=%k; K=$${K#dvb}; N=$${K#*.}; if [ ! -e
/dev/dvb/adapterPS0/$N ] ; then  printf dvb/adapterPS0/%%s $${K#*.};
else printf dvb/adapterPS1/%%s $${K#*.}; fi ; exit 0'", SYMLINK+="%c"
SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="SONY",
ATTRS{product}=="SCEH-0036", ATTRS{serial}=="ALR001DCZL",
PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c ' K=%k; K=$${K#dvb}; N=$${K#*.}; if [ ! -e
/dev/dvb/adapterPS2/$N ] ; then  printf dvb/adapterPS2/%%s $${K#*.};
else printf dvb/adapterPS3/%%s $${K#*.}; fi ; exit 0'", SYMLINK+="%c"