[mythtv-users] Zero Byte Recordings

Andrew Potter andrew at potter.id.au
Sun Sep 14 20:45:11 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Mike Bibbings
Sent: Monday, 15 September 2014 2:37 AM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Zero Byte Recordings

On 14/09/14 13:59, Andrew Potter wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I have been using Myth TV for about 2 ½ years or so with not many
> issues at all, it is a credit to the devs.
>

> Recently in an attempt to reduce power consumption I followed the ACPI
> wakeup/Sleep instructions and have run into an issue with Zero Byte
> Recordings.
>

> The backend is set to shutdown. It is most often one or two of the
> first scheduled recordings after a restart that seem to fail.
>

> I have three separate PlayTV tuners ( 6 tuners in total) and a
> HVR-2200 PCI tuner board. The three play tv units are added first, then
the HVR unit.
> Recording is set to use tuners 1 onwards with Live TV as the last
> tuner backwards.
>

> I have tried to get the playtv tuners to turn off when the computer is
> off but have not had any success. The motherboard is a ASUS board and
> I have played with the ERP settings and can now see that the optical
> mouse does turn off but the red light on the playtv tuners stays on. I
> suppose I am guessing the tuners do not always come up correctly.
>

> Any pointers as to where I can go next is appreciated. I have listed
> some details below including a backend log.
>

> I am running mythbuntu 12.04 64-bit on the backend.
>

> Myth Version
>
> MythTV Version : v0.27.3-159-g2d4a7c9
>
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
>
> Network Protocol : 77
>
> Library API : 0.27.20140719-1
>
> QT Version : 4.8.1
>
> Options compiled in:
>
> linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
> using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr
> using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto
> using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg
> using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
> using_qtdbus using_sdl using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr
> using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
> using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi
> using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass
> using_libxml2
>

> I have added the mythbackend log ( a truncated version) to pastebin at
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/8342641/
>

> There are zero byte recordings started at
>
> 1:55pm on 12/9
>
> 5:55pm on 12/9
>
> 6:55pm on 12/9
>
> 6:55pm on 12/9
>

> Then at 6:56pm on 12/9 the recording is successful.
>

> Also see times 10:55am on the 13/9 for a zero byte and 3:25pm on 13/9
> for a successful recording.
>

> Thanks Andrew

Andrew,

First thing that comes to mind is that order of you tuners maybe changing
between reboots.
I presume that you have either used udev rules or an options.conf file in
/etc/modprobe.d

Please post the result of dmesg|grep -i frontend

Mike

Here is the dmesg info you asked for

....~$ dmesg|grep -i frontend
[    6.062211] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)...
[    6.417992] DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)...
[    7.053497] DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)...
[    7.405153] DVB: registering adapter 3 frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)...
[    7.840602] DVB: registering adapter 4 frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)...
[    8.192008] DVB: registering adapter 5 frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)...
[   17.452372] DVB: registering adapter 6 frontend 0 (NXP TDA10048HN
DVB-T)...
[   20.095633] DVB: registering adapter 7 frontend 0 (NXP TDA10048HN
DVB-T)...

Andrew