[mythtv-users] Limit a particular user job to one instance

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Sep 14 07:36:29 UTC 2014

> I am kicking off a bulk transcoding of most of my recordings, but to free
>> up space for all of the new fall shows, as well as to make them watchable
>> on our mobile devices across wifi.
>>
>> Anyway... my system wil be transcoding for days... and I still want
>> commflagging jobs to run.  Is there any way to restrict a particular
>> userjob to a single instance so that my other job slots can be used by
>> comflagging and media downloads?
>>
>> I know I could batch process them from the command line, or even modify
>> my script such that the job only queue's the transcode and finishes, while
>> the transcode script itself processes them in order.  But before I hack
>> something like that together, I want to be sure there that I am not
>> overlooking a setting that does what I need.
>>

> There's a per-host setting to enable or disable a particular job.  Just
> disable the job on all hosts except the one you want to run the transcode
> job--even if it's just temporarily for this batch.

I do all my transcodes on my only backend (my frontends are diskless or
underpowered).

I normally set it to allow 4 jobs at a time, as commercial flagging and
media downloads don't stress my system too much.  But I can't have 4
transcodes going at a time.

I think I will just have to replace the transcode command with my script,
as you can restrict the number of concurrent transcodes.

It may be a good idea at some point to introduce a feature that allows
setting the max concurrent for each userjob.... though I am not sure how
valuable it would be?