[mythtv-users] StarTech Capture device

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 18:03:17 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> I thought most of these gaming systems didn't use HDCP when gaming.

[FD: I have never owned a gaming system, so I am taking
the words of others.]

As I understand it, the PS4 when it came out only did HDCP.
As some individuals self worth was apparently entirely based
on their ability to show others how good they were at games,
they had to find alternatives.  A firmware update from Sony
allowed HDCP to be turned on or off, as required, so that they
could record their games (or watch protected video, but not
at the same time).  But it was not always so.