[mythtv-users] additional drive

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 13:05:10 UTC 2014

Hoi Simon,

> Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:

>> OK, I'm creating the directory in /media/storage2 and I chown'd it and chmod'd it, and it looks like this:
>>
>> drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv root  4096 Sep 11 08:14 mythtv
>>
>> whereas in /media/storage the same directory looks like:
>>
>> drwxrwxr-x 15 ntp  mythtv  4096 Sep 11 07:31 mythtv
>>
>> Did I not chown it properly?

> Yes you did - the old one is "not correct".

> Take storage2 first. drwxrwxr-x means that it's a directory, the
> owner has full right, the group has full right, and everyone else
> has read (r) and execute(x)* rights. Then mythtv root means it's
> owned by mythtv (good) and group root which doesn't really matter.
> The key things is that mythtv user has wrx access.

> storage is odd ! It has full rights (rwx) to user and group, but
> the user is ntp - odd. However group mythtv has access so that's OK
> - it'll still work fine, but I'd probably change owner to mythtv.

> When it comes to privileges, it works like this (a bit simplified, but it'll do) :

> Does the current effective userid match the user set for the
> object, and if so does that give the user sufficient rights ? For
> storage2, the answer is yes, for storage the answer is no.

> If not, does the user have a group membership matching the group
> ownership of the object, and if so does that give the user
> sufficient rights ? For storage the answer is yes, so mythtv can use it.

> Lastly, do the "other" (or world) rights give the user sufficient
> permissions ? In this case not relevant as a prior match was OK.

> A user can be in several groups. In a business environment you
> might have groups for different departments - so sales people are in
> teh sales group and so on. But senior managers may be in several
> groups so that they can see files from multiple departments.

> * In the context of directories, execute permission means you can
> search and traverse the directory. Without it, you cannot see what
> is in it - but I think you can still write if you have write access
> - in effect you have a drop box where you can place files but not see what's in there.

> Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Similarly the recordings directory doesn't look the same:
>>
>> drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv root 4096 Sep 11 08:33 recordings
>>
>> as compared to:
>>
>> drwxrwsr-x 2 mythtv mythtv      20480 Sep 11 07:31 recordings
>>
>> How do I get an "s" in there and what is it's numerical value? 5

> s or S is the "sticky" bit. In this context, it simply means that
> regardless of the group membership of the user that creates any
> file, in the file system it's group ownership will be set to mythtv.
> Say we had two groups - sales and marketing. It might be reasonable
> to give sales people access to marketing files by making sales users
> members of the marketing group. But if a sales person puts a new
> file in the marketing folder, by default it would have group
> ownership of the users primary group - sales - and thus marketing
> [...]

Oh, and something comes to mind. Was the first storage directory
created under one of the other OS's? Then the current ntp user has the
uid (user id number) that in that OS belonged to mythtv. So change the
owner to the current mythtv and check any contents or run the chown
command with the -R parameter to change the whole contents of the
directory ( I assume there is only mythtv content in there)

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop