[mythtv-users] from PC to TV: HDMI-DVI Adapter, what about the sound?

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Sep 10 18:59:36 UTC 2014

Am 10.09.2014 um 19:51 schrieb Stephen Worthington:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 17:23:21 +0200, you wrote:
>

>> Dear mythtv-users ...
>>
>> I recently upgraded my living room to modern(?) standards in terms of
>> TV-sets ;-)
>>
>> Threw out the old tube and bought a Sony Bravia KDL42W655. Not the best,
>> not the last, but quite an improvement.
>>
>> While I could watch mythtv-stuff via DLNA (works, but is a bit
>> uncomfortable, no nice GUI, not so nice navigation ...) I would also
>> like to use my old mythbuntu-frontend.
>>
>> This box only has an old graphics card with S-VHS, composite and DVI ...
>> so I bought an adapter cable: DVI->HDMI ... this gives me video output
>> on the TV, nice :-)
>>
>> But I don't get audio so far.
>>
>> Is it possible to output the audio via ALSA and the soundcard while
>> delivering the audio via plain old cable (those red/white cinch ...)?
>>
>> A friend of mine told me that there is no audio on DVI, right?
>>
>> -
>>
>> Additionally I think that the TV set doesn't yet "combine" the pic from
>> HDMI and the audio via the other cable.
>>
>> Maybe some Bravia user here knows how to deal with that?
>>
>> I fiddle through the options already but so far without success ...
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers, I continue my search inbetween :-)
>>
>> Stefan
>
> I have a Sony Bravia KDL 32V5500, an older model than yours by several
> years.  It is connected to my Asus Bravo 220 video card (Nvidia 220
> chipset) via a DVI to HDMI cable.  When I first got the TV audio was
> from the line out on my motherboard audio (Realtek ALC892) to the line
> in on the TV.  As best I can recall, I had to mess around with
> alsamixer ("sudo alsamixer" from a command line), to unmute the line
> out (shows as OO for on and MM for muted, toggled by the M key), and
> also set the volume levels on all of the outputs (master, front,
> center, side, LFE, line) to full on (so that the TV got full volume
> output and could then use its own volume control).  Then in
> Mythfrontend in the audio setup I had to set the MythTV audio to
> output to my motherboard sound card.  Unfortunately I no longer use
> that setup, so I am not sure whether the current setting I have for
> that (ALSA:hw:CARD=SB,DEV=1) is the same.  My current setup takes the
> S/PDIF output from the same motherboard sound card to my D to A
> converter and then to my hifi system, and required me to use alsamixer
> to unmute my S/PDIF output.
>
> I believe I also needed to set up the TV to take the line in audio. In
> its Setup > Sound menu there is an option called Target Inputs.  If I
> change its settings, I am offered two possible values, HDMI 1 and
> Common.  It needs to be set to Common to get the line in audio.  I
> presume that it is settable for each possible video input - if the TV
> was currently using HDMI 2, it would offer Common or HDMI 2 as the
> options, and that would be saved as a setting associated with the HDMI
> 2 input.

Thanks for all the details!

I gave it another try now ... with Chromium running a youtube-video I
can see the volume meter (pulseaudio) showing its bars moving ... so
there is output somewhere.

On the TV I digged through the menus, for Sound I get (in german ...)
the choice between "current" and "common" ... no specific input listed
(like "composite" or similar). Tested both, no sound.

It's getting late here, I will attack these issues again tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you!

Stefan