[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Richard Brook byronf16 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 16:00:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 2:09 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 6:44 AM, Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I recently had my Ubuntu 14.04 system crash. I did a clean install of
> 14.04
> > again and then a clean install of MythTV. I have installed it
> successfully
> > numerous times, in the past, from Terminal and Software Center, without
> > issue.
> >
> > Now, whenever I try to install it, I run the back end and I get the
> message
> > cannot connect to database, password not correct. I followed some advice
> and
> > ran an msql command an reset the password to MythTV. I completed the back
> > end config and proceeded to the frontend. There, I get an error that the
> > frontend cannot connect to the back end. May be an IP issue. I never saw
> > that before. I assume it should be 127.0.0.1, as that is the default.
> >
> > I did a purge of MythTV and reinstalled it. When it asked for the d
> > password, I entered MythTV. When the install finished, I ran the Back
> end,
> > and was greeted with the same screen asking what language to use,
> followed
> > by the cannot connect to database error.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >

> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database (answer "yes")
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common (answers: mythconverg, mythtv,
> mythtv, your eth0 address)
>
> Yes, I say choose a password that makes sense and you can remember.
> Your mythtv system isn't accessible from the internet anyway is it?

Well - Everything seems to be working well in Mythbuntu. My GUI displays
full screen on my HDTV but the video from LiveTV or Recordings display in a
square area in the center of the display. If I go to the Video Setup menu
and choose Separate the GUI and Playback, what should I change the
parameters to to make use of the rest of my 50" display? I have played
around with this in the past and ended up with the GUI being too large and
cut off on the edges.

I normally output to my HDTV at 1080p.