[mythtv-users] from PC to TV: HDMI-DVI Adapter, what about the sound?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 10 15:44:39 UTC 2014

On 10/09/14 16:23, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> Dear mythtv-users ...
>
> I recently upgraded my living room to modern(?) standards in terms of
> TV-sets ;-)
>
> Threw out the old tube and bought a Sony Bravia KDL42W655. Not the best,
> not the last, but quite an improvement.
>
> While I could watch mythtv-stuff via DLNA (works, but is a bit
> uncomfortable, no nice GUI, not so nice navigation ...) I would also
> like to use my old mythbuntu-frontend.
>
> This box only has an old graphics card with S-VHS, composite and DVI ...
> so I bought an adapter cable: DVI->HDMI ... this gives me video output
> on the TV, nice :-)
>
> But I don't get audio so far.
>
> Is it possible to output the audio via ALSA and the soundcard while
> delivering the audio via plain old cable (those red/white cinch ...)?
>
> A friend of mine told me that there is no audio on DVI, right?
>
> -
>
> Additionally I think that the TV set doesn't yet "combine" the pic from
> HDMI and the audio via the other cable.
>
> Maybe some Bravia user here knows how to deal with that?
>
> I fiddle through the options already but so far without success ...
>
> Thanks for any pointers, I continue my search inbetween :-)
>
> Stefan

DVI cables can carry audio since they are electrically compatible with HMDI cables.

The problem is, your video card is likely too old to take advantage of that fact.

If you go into the fronted, setup and audio, you should be able to select your
existing RCA output, though it may require a little experimentation.

--

Mike Perkins