[mythtv-users] mythcommflag not working

Carl Hunter cdhunter2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 13:22:07 UTC 2014

On 9/9/2014 2:09 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> Commercial detection is hard, and is constantly
> getting harder as broadcasters intentionally try to
> avoid commercials getting detected (they do not
> want you to skip the commercials; that is how they
> make money).  The algorithms of old probably
> could use some TLC. I believe if someone wants to
> invest (the likely considerable) effort to improve
> commercial detection the devs have a stash of
> samples from around the world to work with (what
> works well in one country, or even for some
> channels or providers may not work well in others),
> so if you are serious about working with the code,
> I would contact them for access to the stash.
> As I recall, there are some alternative programs
> out there that try to detect commercials, and
> perhaps someone could examine them to see if
> their ideas could be integrated into MythTV.
> Personally, I just use the skip forward key.

I've been using the skip forward key for a few years now.  I just know
it was working well for me and my source hasn't changed.

Would an idea be to get mythcommflag from 0.24 compiling / working
against a 0.27 database to do some comparing or is that not really
possible since other dependencies have changed like maybe ffmpeg?