[mythtv-users] Frontend optimization

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Tue Sep 9 22:14:10 UTC 2014

On 08.09.2014 00:44, Josu Lazkano wrote:

> I have 2 dedicated frontends in my home, both are Nvidia ION boards
> with 8GB SSD disk.
>
> I want to optimize them, I have some questions about it:

> 1. SSD: Need I configure something in the /etc/fstab? This is my
> actual configuration:
>
> /dev/sda5 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
>
> I read about triming the SSD disk, I have this:

The man page hints that you can either run fstrim regularly or enable it
in the ext4 mount options (option "discard")

> 2. Video driver: I am using Nvidia 304 driver and VDPAU nomal in the
> playback configuration.

try VDPAU high,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/deinterlacing#Special_VDPAU_Deinterlacers
hints that "The
Advanced 2x deinterlacer is thought by many to be the best"
It may make a difference for 1080i content.

> 3. Memory: I have 4GB in each frontend, could I use it as "ramfs" or
> "tmpfs" to improve the frontend speed?

Linux will use all otherwise unused memory as cache.

Its more important to have two matching ram sticks and enable
interlacing. Though that may be only needed on earlier IONs.
See user reports from other ION users at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Nvidia_3

> I will appreciate your experiences with this little frontends. I use
> to suspend and resume to faster switch on.

I netboot ION frontends for some time, its fast, and with a
distribution like minimyth there are way less knobs to fiddle with
until you get system configuration that works well. Although going
diskless leaves you with two spare 8GB SSD. Might re-purpose them to a
mirrored ZFS Intent Log.

Regards,
Karl