[mythtv-users] Problems with Ceton PCIe

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Mon Sep 8 19:26:30 UTC 2014

On 08.09.2014 00:48, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Justin Moore <justin.nonwork at gmail.com
> <mailto:justin.nonwork at gmail.com>> wrote:
>  > Where does it say that
>  > these session IDs should always be 8+ characters?
>
> RFC 2326.(RTSP)
>
>     3.4 Session Identifiers
>
>        Session identifiers are opaque strings of
>        arbitrary length. Linear white space must be
>        URL-escaped. A session identifier MUST be
>        chosen randomly and MUST be at least eight
>        octets long to make guessing it more difficult.
>        (See Section 16.)
>
> That is an IETF MUST, which means absolutely,
> positively, and not at all optionally.
>
> So, if the Ceton code  is returning a session id less
> than 8 characters, it is not conforming to the
> specification.

The regression is on me. I didn't properly review the code donation for
regressions.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/864bbe0e65c4be9275aac5e1dfb362fd5bf65aab

Maybe we should simply relax the requirement until Ceton fixes their
implementation. Could turn it into a warning about a present but
illegal session id.

Regards,
Karl